A young man has died in Australia after overdosing on a new fentanyl-related drug, the Australian Federal Police has said.

The 22-year-old man was found unconscious in a hotel room in Adelaide’s north-west in the early hours of Saturday morning.

He died on arrival at a hospital, but police have not confirmed the cause of his death.

The man was one of three people found dead after overdosed on a fentanyl-containing powder that had been bought online, according to police.

The man’s name has not been released.

Police said it appeared the man had used the drug with friends, and that his death was not connected to any other recent deaths.

“This is a serious and preventable overdose,” Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan said in a statement.

“Our investigations are still ongoing.

Our drug-prevention strategy is focused on reducing the risk of people being caught up in the criminal justice system, particularly those who are struggling with addiction.”

The drug, called N-morphine, was discovered by the police in July and is a potent synthetic opioid.

It is also available online, and police believe it may be being used to produce the new fentanyl.

Authorities have said they are working to trace the drug and are asking anyone who may have seen it to come forward.

A second man has been found dead in the country, while two other people were in hospital with serious drug-related injuries. ABC/wires